I use iPhone contacts as an example but you see it everywhere.

The sort of list I'm talking about is where the group header (e.g. in the contacts example "S" ) docks to the top of the list while you scroll through all the S's then gets pushed off the top of the list as you get to the T group header which in turns docks to the top of the screen.

Is this just a fancy grouped list?

2 Answers 2


Look at the developer documentation of apple: The groups are called sections, and they are used within a plain table.

So to use Apple developer language I would say it's a plain table view with indexed sections. Not a very nice name, but a precise one :-)

Source: http://developer.apple.com/library/iOS/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/TableView_iPhone/TableView_iPhone.pdf (page 14)

  • I sort of guessed there wouldn't be specific name. Thanks. Aug 18, 2011 at 13:25

"Indexed list" is what I've heard used.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.