This Privacy Notice provides a summary of how your personal data will be used when you use Stack Overflow for Teams. Stack Overflow’s Full Privacy Notice can be accessed via this link.
About Stack Overflow for Teams
Stack Exchange Inc (“Stack Overflow”, “we” or “us”) takes the privacy of users (“you”) seriously. This Privacy Notice explains who we are and how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your personal information when you use Stack Overflow for Teams (SO for Teams or the “Application”). It also explains your rights in relation to your personal information and how to contact us.
About Stack Overflow for Teams Jira Integration from Atlassian Marketplace
Stack Overflow has developed an Atlassian Marketplace app that integrates functionality from Stack Overflow for Teams with Jira Cloud (“Jira”). It facilitates collaboration across the platforms. The SO for Teams Jira integration (“Integration”) is hosted by Stack Overflow. Stack Overflow is usually the processor acting on behalf of a customer, but at times we are the controller, for personal information held within SO for Teams.
SO for Teams allows users to:
- Search SO for Teams in Jira: SO for Teams provides an interface that will run a query on keywords or title and return SO for Teams results directly in a ticket within Jira.
- Unfurl Jira links in SO Teams: When a user is inside SO for Teams, we will allow the user to embed Jira links and the Application will unfurl them inside an SO for Teams question or answer.
Who is the Controller?
When you choose to setup the Integration and use SO for Teams, for example, to Search, Unfurl or Copy, you may share your personal data with Jira. Some of this data may be held by us and Jira as independent data controllers and some of it may be held as joint data controllers. You should ensure that you read Atlassian’s Privacy Notice for more information on how any such personal data may be handled and how you can exercise your rights.
Stack Overflow is the controller for certain personal information that it holds about your organisation such as names and contact details of administrators, billing information, geo location, IP address and other information gathered from the App. Some of this data may be held by us as independent controller and some of it may be held as joint data controllers.
Who is the Processor?
When you choose to complete the Jira integration with Stack Overflow for Teams, Stack Overflow acts as processor in connection with any personal information that it processes as part of the service it provides. For this reason, Customers are required to agree to a Data Processing Agreement in compliance with Article 28 of the GDPR.
Personal information we collect about you as controller
When you install the Jira app and give permissions to integrate Jira with Stack Overflow for Teams, we will collect and use the following personal information about you:
- Authentication details and credentials for the Jira app, including the base URL for your Jira instance, an identifying key, a client key token, and a shared secret token.
- The Jira display name of the account that installed the SO for teams integration on Jira.
- The Jira display name of any contributor to a Jira ticket or comment
- Certain information about Jira tickets linked to inside SO for Teams, including, but not limited to, its project and project key, number, title, description, reporter, assignee, comments, and other metadata
- Analytics data about your actions within SO for teams
- Your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our Application and other technical information. This information is needed to maintain the security and operation of our Application.
How your personal information is collected
We collect this information in the following ways:
- Directly within SO for Teams and related cookies
- Through data received from Jira via the Integration
- Through our IT systems logs
How and why we use your personal information
Under data protection law, we can only use your personal information if we have a proper reason for doing so, eg:
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- for the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract;
- for our legitimate interests or those of a third party; or
- where you have given consent.
- A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information, so long as this is not overridden by your own rights and interests.
Once installed and within Jira, you give your permission to complete the integration and activate any relevant teams and for any personal information on stackoverflow.com to be shared with any third parties we have integrated with to provide you with the functionality. You can withdraw your permission at any time, but if you do, you will no longer be able to access the Integration.
More information is provided in the table below:
|What we use your personal information for||Our reasons|
|To provide SO for Teams to you||For the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract|
|To Integrate Jira and SO for Teams||Your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time, or uninstall the Integration, but if you do, you will not be able to use the Integration.|
|To prevent and detect fraud against you or Stack Overflow||For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, i.e., to minimize fraud that could be damaging for us and for you|
|Gathering and providing information required by or relating to audits, inquiries or investigations by regulatory bodies||To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations|
|Operational reasons, such as improving efficiency, training and quality control||For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, e.g., to be as efficient as we can so we can deliver the best service for you at the best price|
|Ensuring the confidentiality of commercially sensitive information||
For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, e.g., to protect trade secrets and other commercially valuable information
To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
|Preventing unauthorized access and modifications to systems||
For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, e.g., to prevent and detect criminal activity that could be damaging for us and for you
To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
|Updating customer records||
For the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract
To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, e.g., making sure that we can keep in touch with our customers about existing orders and new products
|Statutory returns||To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations|
Who we share your personal information with
We will share your personal information with:
- Third parties approved by you, - e.g., single sign-on providers or social media sites you choose to link your account to or third party payment providers;
- Third-Party Service Providers - We share some of your information with third parties that perform services for us or on our behalf, including data analysis, hosting services (e.g. Jira) and customer service as required for providing you with the core functionality of Stack Overflow for Teams.
We only allow our service providers to handle your personal information if we are satisfied that they take appropriate measures to protect your personal information. We also impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to ensure they can only use your personal information to provide services to us and to you. We may also share personal information with external auditors and regulators where required.
We may disclose and exchange information with law enforcement agencies and regulatory bodies to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We may also need to share some personal information with other parties, such as potential buyers of some or all of our business or during a re-structuring. Usually, information will be anonymised but this may not always be possible. The recipient of the information will be bound by confidentiality obligations.
Our servers are located outside the EEA and we do transfer personal data outside the EEA whether we are a data processor or controller of your data. However, you should note: To deliver services to you, it is sometimes necessary for us to share your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), eg:
- Sharing with your and our service providers located outside the EEA; or
- Sharing data with you if you are based outside the EEA;
Your organization, who are controllers in their own right in respect of some of your data, may be located outside the EEA, or may transfer data outside the EEA. You should read their privacy policies for further information.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed unlawfully. More information can be found in our full privacy notice.
How long your personal information will be kept
We will keep your personal information while you have an account with us or we are providing products and/or services to you. Thereafter, we will keep your personal information for as long as is necessary:
- to respond to any questions, complaints or claims made by you or on your behalf;
- to show that we treated you fairly; and
- to keep records required by law.
Full details of our retention policy can be found in our full privacy notice which can be accessed here.
Under data protection law, you have the following rights relating to your information:
Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing - You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
Please contact us at the contact details listed below if you wish to make a request or if you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information. You also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority, you can find their contact details here.
Specifically in relation to your right to erasure you may trigger deletion of all of your personal data directly through the Application.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note however that this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before its withdrawal.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This privacy notice was published on 28 February 2020.
We may change this privacy notice from time to time—when we do we will inform you via a notice in SO for Teams when you next use it.
How to contact us
Please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing us at [email protected] if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you.