Short Message Service (SMS), aka Text Messages, as an interface to an application (e.g., posting an update to facebook, searching google, etc)
SMS (Short Message Service), aka Text Messages, is the most widely used data application in the world, according to wikipedia.
What questions should have this tag?
As an application interface, there are many implications for user experience.
- Opt-in/Opt-out (because it costs users money to send and receive text messages)
- User preferences
- 160 character limit (and overcoming it using abbreviations)
- command/action grammar (for interacting with applications)
- applicable to "dumb phones" (alternatives to web links)
- overcoming other limitations (e.g., cut/paste often not available)
- Annoyance factor and how to mitigate it
- Security vulnerabilities and how to maintain user trust
- Unreliability and when/if to follow up