So, I'm making someone a high concept website. Basically, there's one of those old fashioned television sets with circular nobs, like those on a stove, to change the channel. You turn the nob, it changes what appears on the television screen. Two issues that have occurred to me:
- How can I lead the user to the nobs?
- Bad ways: highlighting the nob with a bright transparent overlay (weird and not very effective) or with some mild animation like marching ants (also not effective, and also disgusting)
- Less bad, but still atrocious way: A arrow pointing to the nob with a floating box that reads "turn the nob to change the channel". Needless to say, this is horrible.
- How should the turning mechanism work?
- I've seen turnable things before, and they always feel a bit awkward with a mouse. Do you have to drag the mouse as if you were actually turning it, or do you click?
Any ideas would be nice.