- The application is an established accounting and ERP package.
- The codebase is 15 years old, it has a large userbase.
- It currently uses standard menus ("categories"), but these are overcrowded already. There are probably several hundred items there, I haven't counted. Each menu item opens a new form.
- There is already a quick-search feature which is similar to that of Windows 7 start menu - as you type, it filters out the menu items that contain the specific substring.
- The users are mostly not-tech-savvy accountants; changes in the UI are often fought against.
So I'm wondering if tags could help out here, and how could it be done. Or perhaps it is already good as it is? Surely, for someone who's worked with it for many years there is no problem, but the learning curve for new users can be pretty steep, especially since different accounting packages tend to give slightly different names to things (or organize them differently), and finding stuff can be challenging.