User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This button is in the new Firefox, but what is the name of it?

Firefox combi-button

share|improve this question
up vote 17 down vote accepted

This type of button is usually called a 'Split Button'.

The glossary of the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines defines the term 'split button' as:

A bipartite command button that includes a small button with a downward pointing triangle on the rightmost portion of the main button. Users click the triangle to display variations of a command in a drop-down menu. See also: command button. [ ]

MSDN's Ribbon Framework Control Library defines a 'Split Button' as:

The Split Button is a composite control with which the user can select a default value bound to a primary button, or select from a list of mutually exclusive values displayed in a drop-down list bound to a secondary button. [ ]

share|improve this answer

Jquery UI calls it a 'Split Button' -

Not a bad name, I would say.

share|improve this answer
Aha - thanks Martin! – Tom Jun 3 '11 at 9:56

They've also been called Muttons -

share|improve this answer

Sorry, I don't know the formal term for this type of button but in my team we tend to refer to it as a 'multi(call-to)-action button' ... I am certain there is a better name than that however!! It is used extensively in the Apple store also, so as a consequence I suspect will be seeing them ever increasingly in the future! ;)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.