User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been asked to find out how people rank a long list of items. The list is such that about 80% of the population will have pretty strong feelings and make clear ranking among about 20% of the items. The rest of the 80% will be so randomly ranked, they might as well all be the same in terms of importance. I've determined that the best method is to use pairwise comparison testing as it's a common technique to force rankings.

I'm wondering if anyone has used any software that runs this test and, if so, what were your thoughts on the software.

share|improve this question
I do not have any experience with commercially available software. However, whichever you choose, make sure you check to see whether they support the reduction of the number of possible comparisons from the total set to the subset needed to separate the items in the list. There are analytical/methodological techniques for reducing the number of comparisons any one person has to make while retaining the ability to rank all items in the list by combining everybody's data. – user1757436 Apr 28 '14 at 21:19
Thanks for this tip! – Kelley C Apr 30 '14 at 17:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.