We have to display 4 states for certain groups or positions in our org tree. It's rare to show all 4 states so in the mock-up below, I only show 2 states.
The sequence for my mock-up, is as follows
- Select one or more resources. In my example Vesper Lynd and Honey Rider are selected.
- Now select a position in tree (Training Manager).
- From the Actions menu, select Remove
The 'Training Manager' position would update, and display the pending deleted members indicated by the '-2'.
The engineer came up with the notation i.e.
- Members = number (green font)
- Pending Members = plus number (green font)
- Non-members = number (red font)
- Pending deleted members = minus number (red font)
Some other context, we added a settings filter so the user can choose to toggle the visibility of these states. The requirement was to show these states by default though. We showed this to a small set of users who where confused by the numbers, especially because in the brackets we display how many are already in that position. I've also mentioned to the engineer we shouldn't rely on colour to convey meaning.
The previous iteration used 4 different icons, but the UI look cluttered. Can anyone propose a better way to display this information?