User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

The style from Visual Studio (pictured above) is perfect for a program I'm writing, but I don't know what it's called or if there are any libraries that provide this functionality. The key points of this interface that interest me are

  1. On the left and right sides, there is a task bar-like list of open Windows (Circled on left)
  2. You can pin windows (Circled on right)
  3. There is also a taskbar on the bottom, although it's not visible right now
  4. You can move the side-windows around each other, etc.

My question:

  • Is there a name for this?
  • Are there any open source libraries that provide this functionality?
share|improve this question
The words to look for are probably "floating" versus "docked". The whole style is known as docked windows as opposed to floating windows which is what you normally get when you create/show a new form/window. You can define a form as a dock site and each dock site can host multiple dockable windows, allowing for an (theoretically) infinite depth of docked windows. Pinning windows and showing a dock site collapsed (left) versus expanded (right) are (should be) standard features of such a docked windows GUI. If developing in VS is the vendor I happen to know about. – Marjan Venema Nov 9 '13 at 11:12
@MarjanVenema Thanks! I Googled "docked floating windows wpf" and came across AvalonDock which seems to work for me :) – Oztaco Nov 9 '13 at 17:39
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I would call it a docking window framework.


share|improve this answer

This combination is sometimes called Canvas plus palette. (You could read more about the pattern in the book Designing interfaces by Jenifer Tidwell. It's also briefly mentioned in this article that gives a great overview of different application layouts.

The interface is constructed of a couple of different interaction patterns:

share|improve this answer

Generically/historically speaking, it's called a Multi Document Interface (MDI):

share|improve this answer

Sidebar or toolbar can both be used to describe this UI element. The best way to determine some other terms is to go to the View menu in the application and see if the UI components have been grouped under a single label.

OmniGraffle uses Sidebar, calling individual components Sidebars, while Axure does not use a name.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.