First of all logos Should be creative and / or unique and should also represent your company/blog/website.
For a text-based logo, you should consider two things:
Then, for which kind of news?
- celebrity news > shiny, glossy colors and a modern font.
- tech news > cold (gray, blue) colors and a tech font.
- news about energy, green energy, nature > green colors and a tech/grunge font.
- mixed news > different colors possible, based on website colors and a modern font.
Colors: For colors, color mixins and color trends please have a look at http://www.colourlovers.com. I realy love this website.
Fonts: Have a look at http://www.google.com/fonts and dafont.com for inspiration (May you could use a font already exist on your computer)
- (simply use your domain with 2 different colors) domain.com // domain (first color) .com (second color)
- NEWS FLASH
- news flash
- NEWS flash
If your website have a big header you could also use for example CORP below NEWS (2 line logo) to fit your websites header or if you have a small header nav and want to put your logo in, use a single line for your logo.
Current design trend are:
- Flat Color Design ( single color without any effect )
- Slight gradients with 30 degrees
- Shadow extrusion ( back to the 80s yeah :) )
To know what i mean, have a look at googles current logo for slight gradient color effect.
You could also google for "text based logo design" and have a look at the top 3 results:
- 125 creative text based logos
- 75 creative text based logos
- 50 Creative Type-Based Logo Designs For Inspiration
Hope I could help you