User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Is there a name for very long scrolling web pages like the Android KitKat page? I am trying to Google for CSS tutorials and other examples, but have no idea what the design is called.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Graham Herrli, Matt Obee, kontur, Charles Wesley, ChrisF Oct 10 '13 at 20:34

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question. Firefox OS uses a similar design. I wonder what the design is called as well. – SimonTeo Oct 8 '13 at 6:09
The signal to noise ratio of that page is awful. – whatsisname Oct 9 '13 at 3:32
@whatsisname I don't disagree, but have seen the pattern show up more and more frequently. Wanted to put a name to it. – ahsteele Oct 9 '13 at 4:30
up vote 9 down vote accepted

These guys call it a layered site or sandwich site:

websites containing clear and concise sections layered on top of each other.

I prefer this term over "Parallax scrolling" since parallax scrolling is more associated with multi-layer horizontal scrolling that creates the illusion of depth to the viewer. (Background moves slower than foreground, it's the same effect when looking out of a car window)

share|improve this answer
thanks @ahsteele for improving my answer – Lovis Oct 9 '13 at 7:26

I've heard it referred to as single-page design or a single-page website. For the specific kind you are talking about, I would use the term scrolling single-page website.


share|improve this answer

When it's the only page on the website - as is the case in the example you mentioned - the term one-pager probably fits best.

As for multi-page websites with long pages, I wouldn't call them anything else than page or long page :)

share|improve this answer

Parallax Scrolling

Here's a link to some of the great example of Parallax Scrolling websites.

share|improve this answer
well, no. parallax scrolling creates the illusion of depth by moving the foreground slower than the background(s), while the Android-Kitkat page is simply scrolling to the different parts on click – Lovis Oct 8 '13 at 7:09
@DonL. Actually, the android page does use parallax scrolling, although it is more subtle (the doughnuts move slightly, for example). – Brendon Oct 8 '13 at 7:14
@Brendon I think it somehow works similar (with layers), but I wouldn't call it parallax scrolling, since the (at least my) mind is not tricked into the depth-effect. this is - probably - because it's not scrolling horizontallay – Lovis Oct 8 '13 at 7:21
to correct my first comment: the background is of course moving slower than the foreground – Lovis Oct 8 '13 at 7:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.