Do people generally have different language preferences, whether we are talking Operating System, Phone or Website?
My own preference is:
- Operating System: English
- Phone: Native Language
- Website: Native Language
For some reason, an Operating System is English for me. I get the heebie-jeebies from the idea of a non-English OS. The reasons I can think of are:
- Operating Systems were all English when I started with computers
- Command lines are still all English
- Windows language couldn't be changed after installation (may have changed for newer versions)
- Windows menu/keyboard shortcuts are localized (which drove me nuts in my Windows days)
Is there any research showing that language preferences depend on context, or is this just me?