Here is the situation. We have a website that is for a program that helps high school juniors and seniors, write their college app. The problem we are having is how to handle the user accounts. Should the account be associated with the parent, or the student.
It makes sense for the account to be a parent account because they are the ones paying for the program. But our target audience are high schoolers. So they would be the ones making their own schedules, as well as communicating with their teachers.
One idea was to have some kind of sub-accounts under a main account. But that seems a bit kludgey. You would need someway for either students to sign up and then associate themselves with their parent, but that becomes a problem. How would that be communicated. An alternative would be to have parents create accounts for the child, but that also seems a bit annoying.
The "features" that I thought each group would need to be able to handle:
- Ability to pay for programs
- Ability to see student's essay, but not edit it
- Be able to communicate with student's teacher
- Ability to register for programs
- Communicate with their teachers
- Collaborate in real time with their teachers on essay material
- Schedule meetings with their teacher
- Not be able to view siblings materials