User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the common name or design pattern for a UI element which is like a combobox but has the added facility of typing to refine the options returned in the drop down.

share|improve this question
what are the options listed in the drop down ? – rags Jun 19 '13 at 11:57
Are you asking if combobox has a name? :\ – rk. Jun 19 '13 at 12:15
No. what kind of data does the dropdown hold ? – rags Jun 19 '13 at 12:19
@rags Sorry for the confusion. My question was directed to pKo. – rk. Jun 19 '13 at 12:37
I've always heard them named as simply a combo box.… – Matt Lavoie Jan 7 '14 at 16:05

Type-ahead Filter:

If the field when entered displays a drop-down of all eligible values, and when the user starts typing into the field the options in the drop-down is reduced by hiding non-matching values, then this is a type-ahead filter.

enter image description here

Auto-Suggest Field:

A type-ahead field which does not display the drop-down when first entered, instead waiting for the user to type some characters before then providing a drop-down of suggestions is known as an auto-suggest field.

enter image description here

Some auto-suggest implementations will do a fuzzy match (see how my typing of "my ach" resulted in "my school" as a suggestion). This typically doesn't occur with type-ahead filters (usually because type-ahead filters are used for fields with a controlled vocabulary, not free-form text, and thus the range of options are defined and limited).


If the field when entered displays a drop-down of all eligible values, and when the user starts typing into the field the first matching value in the drop-down is selected (without hiding non-matching values), then this is a combo box.

enter image description here

Note that since non-matching values are not hidden the operator can use the arrow keys to move the selected option up or down. I have found this handy in that I might want to select the last of the options that start with the letter "S" and so I type an "T" and then use the up-arrow cursor.

share|improve this answer

I believe you are referring to a combo-box

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.