User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question is similar to Why did scrolling vertically became a pattern?

I see a lot of modern websites moving to larger, singular pages with more content and more vertical scrolling. This is often combined with the visual marvel of Parallax Scrolling (example).

Does this technique of heavy vertical scrolling have a name?

share|improve this question
Haven't all web sites scrolled vertically pretty much since the invention of the first web browsers? I'd just call it a 'web page'. – DA01 Jun 7 '13 at 5:51
Sort of, but I'm referring to the very specific design of having links using pushState methods and so on. I feel like the example I provided is an increasing style and I feel like it should have a name. – Rowan Freeman Jun 7 '13 at 6:35
Ah, I see. I suppose the trademark of that style is the 'sectioning' of the long page into what was traditionally separate pages. I think I'd call that something other than 'long page design' though, as there are all sorts of 'long page' web pages/sites that don't do the very purposeful horizontal sectioning like that. I'd maybe use a term that would refer to a slide-based presentation (as in essence, it's a 'deck of slides' ala PowerPoint, but stacked on one page). – DA01 Jun 7 '13 at 6:48
dead see scrolls? totem poles? vertically integrated? eyescrapers? – user32473 Jun 7 '13 at 7:39
@cris I vote 'eysecrapers'! – DA01 Jun 7 '13 at 21:51
up vote 14 down vote accepted

It's quite literal: Long page design (google search for the same term).

share|improve this answer
Also note that "Single page design" is a related term--not quite synonymous, but often this style involves putting everything on one page. – dan1111 Jun 7 '13 at 8:17
You should really expand on this answer; "Link-only" answers are not very helpful here and "Google it" is not a very good explanation (however correct). Also, remember, Jeff Atwood says Bring the content here. – Mooz May 15 '15 at 0:57

Single Page is probably the most apt term.

If you go to you'll see they call it "single page" and then provide 800+ examples. Enjoy!

share|improve this answer
The link is broken – Andrea Ligios Feb 5 '15 at 14:53
Bring the content here – Mooz May 15 '15 at 0:58

It's called a parallax design. Search online for "define parallax website" and you'll get a number of examples and definitions. FWIW I was banging my head, trying to remember this word, found this question but no one (yet) had the answer. Mercifully, the word then popped in my head: parallax.

share|improve this answer
"Parallax scrolling is a special scrolling technique in computer graphics, wherein background images move by the camera slower than foreground images, creating an illusion of depth in a 2D video game and adding to the immersion." -Wikipedia – Gustav Mar 16 '15 at 13:58
It is often combined with Parallax scrolling (as described in the question), but the common term is long page, single page or one page design. – Gustav Mar 16 '15 at 14:01
Hi Gustav, we're actually both right based on additional research. This type of page has multiple names. While it is called parallax pages by some people, as you point out that term is not 100% accurate. YMMV in other words depending on your situation. If your shop and clients called it parallax, that works. If your shop and clients use the more precise terms you point out, that's fine, too. Both terms will get you lots of examples online. Sorry for any confusion. – FredHead Mar 16 '15 at 18:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.