User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If you look at the advertising image of any Apple product (just go on the apple homepage) you'll see that they all have the screen reflecting light in such a way that half the reflection is dark, the other half is light, and they are separated very sharply. Is there a word for this technique? I've been seeing it everywhere these days.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's usually called "gloss" as the intention is for it to make the image look more glossy. A similar thing is used on iOS icons.

share|improve this answer

Apple's checkout process:


The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with a 1,440-by-900-pixel LED-backlit, glossy display. You can also choose a high-resolution, 1,680-by-1,050 glossy or anti-glare display that gives you 36 percent more pixels.

It can be called either gloss or glare because a screen that has this effect is glossy and a screen that doesn't have this effect is anti-glare.

share|improve this answer
I think OP is talking about the way they show the image, with the dark and light halves of the screen, not what the actual screen is called. – elle-nore Jun 1 '13 at 4:30
...but from a nomenclature perspective those two are one and the same. No? – DrFriedParts Jun 1 '13 at 7:17
@DrFriedParts No they aren't. One is talking about a visual effect, and the other is talking about a property of the hardware. I just so happens that in this case they use similar words, but the meaning is different. – JohnGB Jun 1 '13 at 9:50

"screen glare effect" is the common term I think. A popular Photoshop technique for device product images.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.