User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working on a application, for which I intend to suggest the use of a feature similar to what is used on most smartphones' keyboards to select special characters:

enter image description here

However, while it is easy to explain face-to-face, I feel that my report should have a better name for it than "that thing on your iPhone where you press a letter and other letters appear".

Is there a standard name for this feature?

share|improve this question

How about 'Special character selector' or 'Alternate character grid'?

When in doubt, just say 'the thingy you use to make letters like ę and ū show up.'

share|improve this answer

It's an accented character selection, which is needed for most latin character based languages. English is pretty unique in it's lack of accents (with the exception of adopted words).

So I would just refer to it as:

Accented character selector


Accented character overlay

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.