User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I have seen lots of different ways to define and categorize user interface elements/components. In the process of writing a style guide, I am interested in whether the following categories cover the standard set of user interface elements available and commonly used. What are the different categories that we should use to define user interface elements?

This is an example of what I am using at the moment:

  • Containers (e.g. windows, popups)
  • Navigation (e.g. accordions, breadcrumbs, pagination) Selection (e.g. menus, color picker)
  • Input (e.g. textfields, checkboxes)
share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by rk., Charles Wesley, JohnGB, JonW Apr 24 '13 at 7:53

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


"About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design", by Alan Cooper, has various chapters dedicated to user interface elements. The book uses these categories that I personally find appropiate and exhaustive:

  • Controls
    • Imperative controls (buttons, hyperlinks...)
    • Selection controls (check boxes, lists...)
    • Entry controls (spinneres, text edit...)
    • Display controls (scroll bars, splitters...)
  • Menus
  • Toolbars
  • Dialogs
  • Errors, alerts and confirmations
share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.