User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would you call the UI element that allows a user to add and remove elements from a collection as the favourite / ignored tags widget on the homepage of any stack exchange site does?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Well that's a combination of functional elements there, rather than one single component, but maybe this might help?: What's the official name of concept of input boxes with tags? – Roger Attrill Mar 25 '13 at 16:51

In both MooTools' and jQuery's userspace, this is called 'TextboxList', so it is very reasonable to use that name.

share|improve this answer

I would call it a list or tag builder.

share|improve this answer

Textboxlist seems to be the most common name, although I find the following names a bit better, clearer:

  • TagListBox
  • LabelListBox
share|improve this answer

I see it as 2 entities, the top one being the tag list, which the current tags and the bottom one being the Tag(input) box.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.