There are N categories, each displays its own stuff when enabled. The user initially sees stuff from all categories (they are all enabled).
- Disable a category. This shows stuff from remaining categories.
- Enable only one category. This disables all other categories.
- Enable a category. This shows stuff from this and the other enabled ones.
Each category has an icon and a title.
How can I display horizontally these categories and allow the user to perform these three actions on each item?
My thoughts are:
- On item hover I see another menu, below category, that tells me my options
- On item hover the category is expanded and my options appear on the right (inline)
Also, the icon is still a problem. How can I explain the functionality to the inexperienced user? Only the plus (+) icon is clear to me.