I hope the title is not confusing.
I am talking about the (so common) drop down menu (doesn't have to be a drop down) where you choose the language.
Something like this:
As you can see this gives you the language options expressen in it's own language.
(It does not say "Spanish" it says "Español")
This seems like the normal way to go, since:
- If the user would like to select a language it is because he knows it fluently and hence can recognize it a glance.
- Otherwise you would have to make a (different) drop-down menu for every language you have that may be very impractical
Though I think theese are quite strong argumentes I have seen many(?) sites that chose otherwise.
I mainly ask it here because:
- I'm no expert on UI and would be basing my decision solely upon intuition.
- To see if my reasons for choosing this options were good ones (or the right ones).
- And if there any hard counter-arguments to this choice (that I'm not seeing).