I'm trying to come up with a strategy for putting together focus groups while designing a web application, but I'm starting to wonder how often is too often to do focus groups? In my mind, they would be beneficial after just about every step of the design process.
Here is my process so far:
- Step 1.) Identify client's goals, abilities & project scope
- Step 2.) Focus groups with target market to discover useful features and ideal layout
- Step 3.) Compose wireframes
- Step 4.) Create static mockups (potentially with filler content and minor animations)
- Step 5.) Focus group for usability and visual style
- Step 6.) Seemingly endless development process...
- Step 7.) Focus groups with Alpha version
- Step 8.) Further development, bug fixes, probably more usability features
- Step 9.) Beta Release
- Step 10.) In-app user feedback if possible and/or more focus groups
- Step 11.) Step 8 all over again
- Step 11.) Launch
So what do you think of this process? Is any particular step unnecessary or missing? Too many focus groups?