User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can somebody tell me if there is a name for this kind of tab navigation implementation?

sketch of the control

share|improve this question
up vote 29 down vote accepted

This is called an accordion navigation control, or accordion menu.

enter image description here

  • Use when you want the benefits of a normal sidebar menu, but do not have the space to list all options.
  • Use when there are more than 2 main sections on a website each with 2 or more subsections.
  • Use when you have less than 10 main sections
  • Use when you only have two levels to show in the main navigation.

Reference: Accordion Menu

share|improve this answer
Thanks you very much! – Ascorbin Feb 19 '13 at 13:27
@Ascorbin You're welcome! :-) – Benny Skogberg Feb 19 '13 at 13:32

This kind of accordion menus are mainly used for websites that are specifically designed for mobiles like smartphones. They take up less horizontal space and display the optimum information provided in the menu which can be collapsed and expanded giving access to various links in a portal or website.

Also used in responsive web designs where the entire navigation bar spans accross the screen in a tab or a PC screen whereas the same website is seen scaled down and succumbing itself to the accordion menu when we compress the browser window or open the site in a mobile browser with smaller screensize.

share|improve this answer
+1 Good explaination of use of the accordion menu, Justin! – Benny Skogberg Feb 21 '13 at 21:00
Benny, you are welcome. – Justin Samuel Feb 22 '13 at 3:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.