I am managing a LMS (Learning Management System) system which provide the user with the ability to create courses with a curriculum. A curriculum within a course might include different type of activities such as (Lessons, Drills, Lectures, Test, Assignments etc...)
In the LMS system a user can Add an "Activity" object to the curriculum tree. The activity object can be defined as follows:
- Activity details: Name, Description, Type etc..
- Evaluation tool: Can be (Status declaration, Test, Assessment, Scorm Object etc..)
- Objectives: The activity objectives (Can be empty)
- Attachments: The user can add attachments to support the activity, such as Presentation, document or a movie. (Can be empty)
- Resources Requirements: The uses can define what are the resources needed to conduct the activity. Not every activity has resources requirements. (Can be empty)
- Prerequisites: The users adds other activities that are prerequisites to that one. (Can be empty)
- Additional Requirements: You can consider it as a checklist for the activity: (Can be empty)
My customer asked me to create a report which gives him a way to control and manage the curriculum creation process. He requested aggregate information like this:
I think that the aggregate information not supporting the task very well because:
In the report you can see that 2 resources has been defined for the activity called lessons. Only the user knows that there should be 2 resources. so in his point of view this activity is done. But he can't know if the Right resources were define. for example a lesson might require 1 instructor and 1 class, but the one who create the lessons has define 1 computer room and 1 conference room.
Because only the user can know what the activity should include, i can't give him alerts in the report or completion percentage which indicate that he finish creating the lessons as needed.
I an suggesting the following:
My solution provides:
The all needed information, but the user not getting a full overview. I don't think a full overview is the right choice for controlling or managing the curriculum creation process.
I have considered to create them both that my report will be a drill-down from the aggregate report. but i think it is very annoying to do many drill-downs and back to the main report. specially when i can't give him a list of activity needed a review.
What do you think?