Upon the launch of say a new social media site - is it appropriate to do a big slide-down / lightbox to explain what the site is about - or to let users figure things out for themselves?
- Leaves no room for confusion
- A sense of desperation - "we're new, please help us out!"
- Should provide an easy exit plus cookies so it doesn't repeat itself for existing users
- Will act as if the site's already well-established
- Greater psychological impact (i.e. learning by doing as opposed to being told what to do)
- Users might get the sense that "this must be a new trend, I need to catch up" and start using it immediately