If you want to show the movement data to someone who is a bit more pragmatic, instead of using line charts, you could use a simplified map of the place.
- Each building - a rectangle
- Each person - a tiny circle/square
- Each department - a color-coded row of persons;if you want to track
individuals as well, you could asign to each person a specific
position in that row.
- Every building has rows for every department
Using the data you have, you take a snapshot of where everyone is every 5 minutes, and redraw the map every 5 seconds and animate the persons that move (for example from building 1 to building 3, to their respective department/rows)
Put a big clock at the top and voila, you can see:
- which department moves around the most
- which building is preffered by which department
- at what time do people move about the most etc.
I made a drawing, but: "... Earn more than 10 reputation to post images."
Edit: Here's the drawing: