I want to know more about status bars, what are they useful for and what is the appropriate way to use them.
I've noticed the following:
- Status Bars are always located at the bottom with the most significant information in the rightmost side of the screen (why?)
- Status Bars are often disabled by default (why?)
- Is the concept of status bar lost while jumping from window-based applications to web, or is it just rendered differently?
I also want to know what kind of messages are appropriate for the status bar?
- Information that changes often?
- Modifiable Properties that change the behavior of the application (Modifiers?)?
- Modeless Progress Bars (Finite or Infinite)
Is there anything I should avoid as a best practice for a status bar?
An example of a status bar is displayed in the image below:
So pretty much what I want to know is the dos and don'ts of status bars and how they can help enhance user experience. The information above is to be taken as a reference only, so don't feel constrained to ask the questions in this description.