I've been conducting usability tests for a few years now for a variety of products and interfaces. These have been in-person and remote, high-fidelity and low-fidelity, structured and unstructured. I've been working on a general best practice participant introduction script for personal use and to share with colleagues.
Is anything missing? Is anything wrong or not as good as it could be? Any established best practices that I should reference?
General usability study introduction:
- Thanks for taking time to help us!
Today we’ll be showing you a prototype of a new experience and asking for your feedback
- We call this a usability study
- This prototype is a rough mock up that is not yet built
- The reason we’re showing you this is to get feedback before the team builds the real version
- It is not actually hooked up to any backend systems, and some parts of it are not fully functional
- Don’t worry about breaking anything
- IF GUIDED TEST: We’ll be providing you with a few tasks to role play as your use the prototype
Please think out loud as you use the prototype
- Talk through your thought process
- Use the prototype as you would at home or another familiar setting
- Point out anything you like
- Definitely point out what you don’t like and let us know what's wrong
- IF EXPERT AUDIENCE: Also, let us know if you think of any improvements or missing functionality
- There is no correct or incorrect way to do things, just do what you think you should be able to do in the way that you would like to do it
- If you ever feel stuck, please let me know and we can talk about how you would expect to be able to proceed
- IF TESTER DIDN'T DESIGN THE PROTOTYPE: I am just the person conducting the test so feel free to speak your mind
- We are in no way testing you; this is all about the prototype and what works and what doesn't
If you ask questions, I might respond with some form of “Well what do you think it should do?”
- Also, I might ask you what you are thinking at various stages
- This might get a little annoying so I apologize in advance :)
- Our goal is to see how you think about things
- If you would like to stop at any point or take a break, please let us know
- Is it okay if we begin?