User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I think this is the site where I can ask this.

Sometimes I have to build specials "slider" or "scrollbar" but when I try to look for information is difficult because I don't know the proper names.

And when I receive the design it is not very clear.


I realize that as @Anna Rouben has mentioned, components can be named different through platforms, so I especially need it for web

share|improve this question
There is no comprehensive list. – DA01 Nov 12 '12 at 5:45
Fair enough, could we say the most complete list? – raulricardo21 Nov 13 '12 at 4:04
There is no standards governing body when it comes to UI nomenclature. There's common terms that we've all gotten used to over the years, but the only terms that really matter are the terms your teams are using. I'd suggest that your team and the team handing you the designs start collaborating on your own internal UI component library. That way everyone will be on the same page when it comes to the terms being used. – DA01 Nov 13 '12 at 4:42
I see your point, thanks DA01. But as long as on web we used popular libraries I think should be at least a very common terms for a bunch of component, am I right? I don't think we differ terms so much. – raulricardo21 Nov 14 '12 at 16:33

For the web:

Yahoo!'s Pattern library also gives you some general tips about when to use what and why.

share|improve this answer

I am not aware of a single place where you can look up ui components for any platform. Similar components are sometimes called differently based on a platform. Therefore it might be helpful to refer to the UX documentations for a specific platform:


Windows 8

share|improve this answer
What about web UI Components? do you have any links about it? I forgot to mention that, – raulricardo21 Nov 9 '12 at 19:58

Here are a couple more sources of interaction design patterns that include UI components:


Designing Interfaces

share|improve this answer

Quince is a great resource for UI elements and usage patterns. It is rather extensive and provides examples on when certain controls or elemtents are more appropriate than others and why.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.