I have some questions about toggling columns:
in an older application, we have some columns that a user can toggle (regardless of available horizontal space). For example, the toggle between quantities and amounts. When the user clicks on the amount button, the columns for quantity change to amounts.
Toggle between "Quantities"
- What control should be used to make the toggle?
- Where should these buttons be placed? It could be that we toggle only a single column, or a group of columns.
Otherwise, it could be that we toggle columns because of available width.
Toggle between "Extra description"
- We could solve this by extending the width of the form or by making these columns scroll behind more important columns. Is this the way to solve this?
- Could we hide this under a 'More columns' button with drop down list?
- Should there be a closer relation between the toggle and the buttons that are affected by it?