User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have attached an image which explains which element I am talking about. I am trying to find out it's proper name.

Can anyone help me please?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 18 down vote accepted

"Handle". However, it's usually prefixed by its intended use: "drag handle", "resize handle", "scroll handle", etc.

Example image

(From left to right: scroll handle, rotate handle, resize handle, sort handle.)

share|improve this answer

Im don't think there is an official term for these. Use of the word "Drag" definitely makes sense but I dont know if "handle" is the right description either as it is visually nothing like a handle.

I have also used and heard "Grip" or "Grip Bars"... Maybe we can coin a new term, What about "Drag Grip"?

share|improve this answer
"Grip" is the most logical thing to me. It's a skeuomorphic element that (should) indicate draggability, when you have a real thing you're supposed to grab like that it's called a grip. – Ben Brocka Sep 13 '12 at 12:10

When you say "sliding", do you mean dragging? If so, I would call that a "grab handle".

share|improve this answer
is that the proper name? I couldn't find any similar images by searching "gui grab handle"/"graphical grab handle"/"iphone grab handle" in google. – Arturs Vancans Sep 12 '12 at 14:52
Microsoft tends to refer to it as a "resize handle", when used in the context of resizing a window. "Handle" is certainly the usual term whenever dragging is involved. It probably wouldn't be appropriate for activating something with a click though. – Matt Obee Sep 12 '12 at 15:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.