I have some questions about sorting on multiple columns in a desktop application. I have read this thread: How to sort on a single column; OR multiple columns at once, but I guess we won't be able to create this technically.
I guess its common behaviour that columns can be shift+clicked to add to the sort criteria. But as this is hidden for users, we also have a command button that could launch a popup to set the sort criteria.
These are options which we have already considered:
- a popup with a list selector (select columns by moving column names from a list with existing columns to the "selected columns" list
- a popup like the one in Excel (Sort-button on ribbon-tab "Data",
My questions are:
- are there other possibilities to get the columns that need sorting?
- how to mark the order of a selected column in the first option? I have this feeling that this checkbox is not clear enough, is it? Would a switch with two labels are a ribbon group be a better option?
- how to show sort order on the result list? Our simple sort is marked by an arrow in the header