User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm thinking of using a set of "conjoined choice buttons" to let the user filter a table of highscores. It would look sort of like this:

( ##EVERYONE##|  FRIENDS  |  ME   )     ---- everyone selected
(   EVERYONE  |##FRIENDS##|  ME   )     ---- friends selected

Is there a proper name for this kind of component?

Names I tried Googling but didn't get results for:

  • Linked choice buttons
  • Sticking together choice buttons
  • Conjoined (choice) buttons
  • Merged choice buttons

Hopefully the next person searching for them will find the answer here.

share|improve this question
In the simplest manner, they're a type of radio button in the same way that tabs are a type of radio button. – zzzzBov Jul 27 '12 at 13:20
@zzzzBov Yes, from a technical point of view, but not from a user expectation point of view. – Bart van Heukelom Jul 27 '12 at 13:42
up vote 14 down vote accepted

This is called a Segment Control on iOS

enter image description here

and Segmented Radio Buttons on other platforms.

share|improve this answer

They referred to as "button groups" in bootstrap:

In the Android ICS you would probably use tabs to switch views:

share|improve this answer
I'm not intending to use it for tab-like functionality. – Bart van Heukelom Jul 27 '12 at 11:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.