User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the proper name for a layout like this, in which a column expands when mouse enters it:

May be called "reactive layout"?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I would refer to this as another example of Progressive Disclosure.

As a side note, this article is a great resource for using proper indicators for hidden elements such as is the case with progressive disclosure.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, really valuable resources. – Luca Giorcelli Jul 1 '12 at 21:59

As mentioned by GotDibbs, this is an example of Progressive Disclosure. Although you are also partially correct in saying that it is a reactive layout. It's just that 'reactive layout' usually refers to the layout of the website changing on the fly to accommodate a smaller or larger area or screen size as apposed to the user interacting with individual elements.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.