I have a
UITableViewStylePlain with sections titled as districts (neighborhoods) in New York City. I am struggling how to implement the indexes (quick "links" on the right). Should they be:
- The first letter of the district (Upper West Side -> U)
- The first letter of each word of the district (Upper West Side -> UWS)
- Show all the letters but some don't "work" (no "J" district)
Pluses of each:
- No duplicate letters (Upper West Side and Upper East Side are both U), simple list with a low number of elements
- Distinct entry for each district, easier to associate each district
- Full list looks better
Pitfalls of each:
- To get to Upper West Side, it would first go to U (Upper East Side)
- Three (even two) letters looks weird. Especially when selected.
- UX elements that have no response (not good practice)
I have attached a screenshot in case this is hard to understand. Any ideas/suggestions?
Edit: (as per @daniel eckmann's request)
Without going into too much detail, the app is a listing of shops (50-100) around NYC that offer a very specific product and/or service. This screen is the main/lainding page for it and lists all the items. The user can also search, view them on a map (seperate screen) and filter the view based on certain criteria.