User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

With mobile devices, there are (at least) 2 kinds of user actions that could be called "shake"

  1. Shaking the device itself
  2. Shaking some draggable item (à la Windows 7 shake-to-minimize-other-windows)

I can't come up with any sensible names to differentiate these two actions. Does anybody know of reasonable terms for these actions?

share|improve this question
How common is shaking some draggable item? What real-world action corresponds to this metaphor? – dnbrv Mar 26 '12 at 19:56
I don't know that there's a direct real-world action that corresponds well, but after seeing it used in Windows, it got me curious as to how it might work on a mobile platform. IMO it's a garbage feature on the desktop, but it strikes me as a potential alternative for some of the awkward or unintuitive mobile gestures I see in abundance (triple tap, multi-finger swipe, combinations of short/long press). – Chris Bye Mar 26 '12 at 20:15
That's my point: don't clog your mind with uncommon, strange, confusing interactions. – dnbrv Mar 26 '12 at 20:51
It doesn't seem as obviously as bad as the common gestures I see elsewhere, at least worth exploring in a few contexts. – Chris Bye Mar 27 '12 at 1:08

Jiggle seems like the word that an interface would use to describe shaking a dragable item. According to wolfram alpha, jiggle means

  1. noun - a slight irregular shaking motion
  2. verb - move to and fro
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.