User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a certificate/diploma course in UX/UI development. Basically, I think I am good in design as well as programming. Right now I have a job as an Interactive Developer and I get to work with javascript/jquery often but I feel if I had some sort of certificate, I'd be given more javascript intensive work or more programming intensive work.

Right now, I am more of the html-css-guy than the javascript-jquery-php-tech guy. I feel a degree/certificate/diploma may get me a job through which I can improve my skills further.

I was looking for some course/diploma in and around california. If people can help me :)

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by dnbrv, ChrisF, Erics, Charles Boyung, Rahul Feb 5 '12 at 0:29

Questions on User Experience Stack Exchange are expected to relate to user experience within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Amit, welcome to UX.SE! We are very strict on the kinds of questions we allow here and, unfortunately, your question about certificates of education isn't acceptable. Please review the FAQ for future reference. – dnbrv Feb 3 '12 at 18:56
Welcome to amit! unfortunately this question doesn't really fit into our guidelines in the FAQ. Feel free to refine this so that it is more suitable for the site. – Matt Rockwell Feb 3 '12 at 18:57
"...if I had some sort of certificate, I'd be given more javascript intensive work or more programming intensive work."

It sounds like you're looking more for positions primarily involving programming. You're more likely to get more JavaScript intensive work with a programming related degree (e.g., computer science) based on jobs I've seen - especially if you're looking at developing web applications.

Organizations requiring advanced JS work tend to hire multiple developers and a UX designer or two. Both fields require significant study and experience to become proficient. Since proficiency's productivity boost can be exponential (especially in developers' case), hiring specialists in each role, then putting them on the same team, can be more cost effective than hiring two generalists who can do both.

If you want to do advanced work in either development or UX, specialize and really dive into it. Keeping the other as a minimal hobby can be beneficial, as jobs will often include minimal knowledge of the other role as a nice to have, not a requirement.

share|improve this answer

Get involved with any number of usability and human factors associations, go to some day-long workshops, and get some certifications.

and i'm sure being in CA, there are plenty of college-level offerings in UX/IA/UCD stuff.

share|improve this answer

I work for the University of Waterloo Stratford Campus and both our under graduate and graduate programs have strong focus on user experience. Our graduate program is a Master's in Digital Experience Innovation. You can read more about us here

If you are looking for a more technical program you would look for a Human Computer Interactions specialization in a Computer Science program, or a specialization in Cultural Anthropology with a Master of Arts degree.

*This is all based on the way Canadian colleges/universities operate.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.