Let's say you have a website - that is either a non-profit or otherwise positions itself as good for community - that runs banner ads to cover some of it's costs.
I was wondering what would be the effect of accompanying the banners with a positive explanatory caption, something like:
- "We are a non-profit; this ad pays for our servers"
- "This ad sponsors our DJs utility bills"
My questions are:
- I am sure someone already tried it before, please recommend any reading or research.
- Can it improve the perception of my brand/non-profit despite showing banner ads?
- Can it ultimately increase the banner CTR and if yes what is the moral/legal implication of users clicking on ads to help their favourite website?