User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to clean up notifications for a client site and was wondering if the notification pattern that Stack Exchange employs has a name that I can use to search for more examples.


share|improve this question
Are you referring to the message that pops up when you earn a badge? We tend to call that the "flash", based on the same concept from Ruby on Rails, eg. – Rahul Sep 17 '10 at 6:23
up vote 13 down vote accepted

The terms I see the most are "message bar", "notify bar" and "notification bar".

There are tons of examples with Google using the terms above. Below are a few.

'Notify Bar' plugin

Top Floating message box using jQuery

jQuery: How to show a message bar at the top of browser window

share|improve this answer
We also use "Notification Bar" – Susan R Sep 17 '10 at 11:59
Thanks @Susan, I added it. – rick schott Sep 17 '10 at 12:42
The Stack Exchange team also call it a "notification bar." See… and – Patrick McElhaney Sep 17 '10 at 13:15

Within Google, we call it a Butter Bar, to disambiguate it from all the other types of notifications that might also be shown on a page.

share|improve this answer
are you referring to the full width notification bars like here at SE, or the shorter butter-coloured bars which are overlaid top-centre of the page? – Erics Oct 7 '11 at 4:56

I just found a good page from Chromium project about this UI element. They call it infobar and have there quite nice guidelines, rationale and examples:

share|improve this answer

IE calls it "information bar".

share|improve this answer

As Rahul mentioned, this is called the "flash" in Ruby on Rails, CakePHP, Yii, Lithium and TYPO3 at least.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.