User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have a person on our team who has taken on the role of establishing the tone of our website. This includes the general style of the graphic design, the wording of our text...etc.

Is there a title for someone who does this? User Experience doesn't seem quite right, but maybe so?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Designer. :-)

(In a traditional studio/agency setting this would partly be the task of an art director, a copywriter, and a creative planner. Lead and consolidated by a creative director.)

share|improve this answer
Designer is the term we have agreed on. Thanks! – JimDaniel Nov 26 '11 at 20:07

Many roles would be responsible for this. As for a 'lead' it could be any number of (or combination of) rolls:

  • product manager
  • brand manager
  • art director
  • copywriter
  • marketing director
  • editor

And certainly, user experience could be the role as well. Alas, we work in an industry with rather loose job descriptions and titles, so there is no one 'right' answer to this question.

share|improve this answer

So far as the overall 'tone' of the site is concerned, it would appropriately be the Content Editor who takes care of presenting everything to suit the target audience and project the right brand image.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.