User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
  • upgrade your career today in the SO careers advertisement below

alt text

  • the letters PS in the CS4 logo

alt text

How do I tell people that this is what I am talking about. Is there a commonly used name for this text affect that UI designers would use?

share|improve this question
I don't see a SO careers advertisement. Can you include a link or better yet, a picture? – thursdaysgeek Sep 10 '10 at 22:25
@thursdaysgeek: I have included a picture with the question above. Try reloading the page? – Lazer Sep 13 '10 at 14:49
up vote 17 down vote accepted

It's called the letterpress effect. Here's an article with examples and tutorial and here's a video lesson.

share|improve this answer

I've also seen it referred to as 'embossed text'.

share|improve this answer

Ive heard it as:

share|improve this answer
Inner shadow is a different effect. Cutout text is also a different effect, in the example that you link to it is used in combination with embossed text. – Bart Gijssens Sep 9 '11 at 14:17
+1 for cutout text. – Warren P Mar 5 '12 at 17:27

I think it's just called indented text.

Affordable Website Design has a tutorial that describes how to create the effect in Photoshop.

share|improve this answer
Indentation means to move something over to the left as when you indent a paragraph. – Warren P Mar 5 '12 at 17:27
@WarrenP - true. I was looking for a term that was the opposite of "emboss". – ChrisF Mar 5 '12 at 17:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.