User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm struggling to find a good icon to represent to users that while reading an article or something similar, they can click a small icon to reveal a left side panel to show additional options.

I've seen the full screen icon with arrows pointing outward in all directions for expand and pointing inward for collapse, but I'm looking for something more specific to show that the panel will pop out from the left and it can be collapsed as needed.

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Benny Skogberg, Rahul May 20 '12 at 9:24

Questions on User Experience Stack Exchange are expected to relate to user experience within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The Opera browser uses this icon for exactly that purpose:

enter image description here

And of course with the corresponding one for close:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

I really think you've answered your own question. If you've seen the same thing everyone else has seen to expand and retract a side panel then most likely that is the best option since it will be immediately recognizable. CNN MONEY uses something like this to change to a tablet view.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.