I have a basic vertical list of dates which can each be dragged to reorder the list, with the goal being to allow the user to change the order and date of each item to their liking.
An example list of reorderable dates is:
- November 2: some text here
- November 2: more text here
- November 3: some more text
- November 4: even more text
I have noticed one use case which is proving problematic:
- Dragging an item in between two dates which are the same = no problem
- Dragging an item in between two dates which are different = ambiguous
- Dragging an item to the start of the list = no problem
- Dragging an item to the end of the list = no problem
It is this 2nd use case which is the problem: when dragging to a destination which is in between two different dates, we cannot be sure which date the user is intending to choose.
So in the above example list, I would be dragging item #4 in between items #2 and #3. As you can see, it becomes ambiguous to determine the new date for the item.
Any ideas on how to combat this problem would be much appreciated!