User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We are developing the UI for a banking ATM console where many of our customers are not aware of computers common GUI terminology.

So what term should I use for removing entered characters if someone enters a wrong character and wants to remove it.

We are currently using "Correction". Should I use "Clear", "Cancel", or "Reset"?

share|improve this question
I'm having a little trouble understanding the question. Am I right in believing that you've some kind of text field with a 'clear' button, and you want to know what label to give it? – Jimmy Breck-McKye Oct 30 '11 at 18:10
yes, but its like atm machine – pir abdul wakeel Oct 31 '11 at 7:03
We are building GUI for ATM Machine. – pir abdul wakeel Oct 31 '11 at 7:03
edited the question for clarity – Erics Nov 2 '11 at 6:12
ok, thank you . – pir abdul wakeel Nov 2 '11 at 6:16
up vote 4 down vote accepted

All ATM keypads in the UK seem to work the same way with 3 action buttons:

Cancel / Clear / Enter

  • Cancel - Cancels the transaction

  • Clear - Clears the number (say a PIN number) entered

  • Enter - Submits the information

The answer to your question would therefore be 'clear'

However: I'd be very wary of generalising from the way its done in one country to assuming this is the same in all countries (without further research to check whether this is a global standard)

share|improve this answer
In our country some of the ATM machine use clear while other use correction. – pir abdul wakeel Oct 31 '11 at 16:44

What term you use depends on what you are describing.

Clear = when you have a field or text area in which you want to clear all the content.

Reset = when you have a default setting or settings and text and would like to return it to its default state.

Cancel = when you have made changes to settings or data and you want to cancel or stop those changes without saving them.

I suspect from your question that you are talking about single characters. If that is the case, you should use "delete" or "backspace" to describe them. However if the people that you're dealing with have very little computer experience, it may be more useful to use a symbol for this. Something like the icon below.

enter image description here

Whatever term you use, don't use "correctness" as language wise it makes very little sense.

share|improve this answer
yes, thank you. but we are building ATM GUI. – pir abdul wakeel Oct 31 '11 at 7:53
In that case, just use what all other ATMs that I've seen use. "Correction" which basically acts the same way as "clear" – JohnGB Oct 31 '11 at 11:10
I am using Correction too, but that was my typo mistake. – pir abdul wakeel Oct 31 '11 at 13:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.