Given a pretty simple site with controls for flagging posts which are inappropriate, what exactly should the action do?
It seems that
- It should preferably "hide" that post from the user.
- Permanently, by adding a row to the database indicating to block that post.
- Temporarily, by storing a value in the session to block it.
- Semi-temporarily, by simply hiding it from the current view but not preventing it from showing up again.
- It should mean something. Posts which have been flagged over a given number of times should be made inactive and won't show up in search results.
Is this the correct way of handling this kind of action? What should happen when a flag is placed on an item? The goal, of course, is to create applications which are moderated by the community which need as little admin intervention as possible.