User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there any conventional names for these informational labels?

Here's the link

share|improve this question
@Patrick McElhaney Thanks! – hamahama Oct 15 '11 at 6:10
Sure thing. Based on the kind of answers it's getting, this question might be better suited for the graphic design site. (Don't repost the question, though. I'll migrate the questions and answers together if there are no objections.) – Patrick McElhaney Oct 15 '11 at 15:09
I'm fine with that :) – hamahama Oct 16 '11 at 5:39

I don't know of any generally accepted word for them, but if we are going to keep to the closest analogy in English they would be:

Sash - when it is shown as a piece of fabric across or around an item.

enter image description here

Ribbon - when the end of the ribbon is shown. Many awards are given in this way and they are almost always called ribbons.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
A note of caution about using Ribbon though; as Microsoft may have beaten you to it with their Office Ribbon UI. – JonW Oct 17 '11 at 8:48

They're all different types of Ribbon. The first one is a wrapping ribbon and the second one is a hanging ribbon. You also find the banner ribbon a lot if you just purely search for 'ribbon'. This ribbon pack is from Code Canyon.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Nice that you also provided the link for the pack of ribbons! :) – Samuel M Feb 10 '13 at 16:08

I call it ribbon, but I am not aware of an "official" name.

share|improve this answer
GitHub calls them ribbons. – Patrick McElhaney Oct 15 '11 at 11:34

We used to call them a "flash", which was confusing when compared to Adobe flash. It was used for any sort of addition to an image like "sale", "new in" or whatever. It was used irrespective of the style ( the term "sash" implies a particular style, but some clients used strips across the bottom or top or anywhere ).

share|improve this answer

Good question :) struggled with the same problem when I tried to communicate this to a graphics designer. Ended up just sending a link to an image...

"corner banner"?

share|improve this answer
Haha! So true. I know Themeforest calls it a "sash". Maybe we could think of a name for it. – hamahama Oct 15 '11 at 6:12
I like "Sash", I must admit I've seen these more than a few times and never known what to call them. – Ben Brocka Oct 15 '11 at 12:31

I call these labels tags. Simply.

share|improve this answer

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

If you could elaborate a little and maybe come up with some proof of your answer, it would provide more value to the OP and others reading your answer in the future! – Benny Skogberg Feb 10 '13 at 20:40
If you google Corner Ribbon and Corner Tags, you'd see that results for corner ribbon are somewhat more accurate. Do you have any references? – edgarator Feb 10 '13 at 22:57
I've heard them refered to as ribbons most often. I think tags could too easily be confused with tags in code, or the code tag of whatever you're pointing to. – Eric Jun 26 '13 at 17:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.