Users on my site log in via OpenID. This is what loggin in looks like:
- Click the login link in the header
- Click one of 6 OpenID providers
- (wait one second)
- If they're there for the first time: Log into their OpenID provider
- Redirect back to my site
The one second delay isn't too bad, but while the user is waiting, they're staring at my login page. How do I make the login feel faster?
These are some techniques I've found so far:
- Redirect to a blank page first, so that something is happening
- Fade out the login form
- Display a progress indicator
The drawback to the first two is that, in case something goes wrong, the user won't be able to click a second time.
Is there a well-established solution to this?