I'm trying to gather some best-practices on how to use the parallax effect, combined with different types of uses of the technique.
Here is my beginning, do you know more than me? (probably!) What am I missing? What do you think is important to consider when using the parallax technique.
- Good story line.
- One message per state/page.
- Navigation between states is clear.
- Persistent navigation that indicates position.
- Play is encouraged by providing a scrubber-mechanism that lets the user go back and forth between stages.
- Mobile first is honored and how/if it ports to smaller screens.
Types of uses + Example
- good story - hobolobo.net
- vertical parallax - nikebetterworld.com
- horizontal parallax - yessbmx.com
- animation/frames - beetle.de/full
- 3d rooms - ajaxian.com/archives/3dcss
- worlds / 2-axis parallax - http://www.mauriciostudio.com
- Know why you use the technique, it won't work for most sites. Just like any design pattern, give it some thought.
- Animation/frame type uses of the technique are often laggy (example) and don't port well across devices or slower computers.
- It doesn't have to work across the entire screen and involve all elements but can be done more subtly (example: 1).