User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If you haven't seen, see this screenshotenter image description here

I can customize my page, by adding more boxes, removing or rearranging them (I can rearrange using drag and drop, something like WYSIWYG), or changing how each individual box look. Is there any UI term for these kind of boxes? Is there also a term for a website that is customizable in this way?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The term that I've seen used for these is "widgets" or "gadgets" (as in Google Gadgets). The older "applets" might also apply - but that term is laden with Java symbolism and might now be confused with iOS applications.

I don't know of a term other "customisable".

The BBC site has a similar layout manager.

share|improve this answer

Widgets or Portlets are both often used to describe these.

share|improve this answer
+1, but I feel like "portlet" is more of a developer's term. I would avoid using that word on the UI – Baa Sep 11 '11 at 21:33

Yahoo might be calling them Content Boxes:

enter image description here

Google calls them Gadgets:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.