User Experience Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use iPhone contacts as an example but you see it everywhere.

The sort of list I'm talking about is where the group header (e.g. in the contacts example "S" ) docks to the top of the list while you scroll through all the S's then gets pushed off the top of the list as you get to the T group header which in turns docks to the top of the screen.

Is this just a fancy grouped list?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Look at the developer documentation of apple: The groups are called sections, and they are used within a plain table.

So to use Apple developer language I would say it's a plain table view with indexed sections. Not a very nice name, but a precise one :-)

Source: (page 14)

share|improve this answer
I sort of guessed there wouldn't be specific name. Thanks. – Simon Hutton Aug 18 '11 at 13:25

"Indexed list" is what I've heard used.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.